The oldest township in Zimbabwe, equivalent to Soweto in South Africa. There is no better representation of Zimbabwe than the township of Mbare.
The tour takes you from pre-colonial Zimbabwe, under Chief Mbari (from whom the area is aptly named), to the remnants of the First World War, to colonial rule & establishment of the hostels (that remain to this day), to migration patterns, presented by various nationalities inhabiting the area to this day, diverse religious sects, and then to contemporary art and culture.
You will be picked up from your accommodation by an experienced guide, who is quite passionate about travel, and more so about sharing knowledge on the hometown. Visit the following places with our Harare tour guide:
- Mai Musodzi Hall: a hive of artistic gatherings and events including women’s clubs, artistes’ meetings and festivals.
- Mupedza Nhamo Market: get to explore the fashion mecca of Mbare.
- Fresh Fruit Market: you cannot say you have visited mbare without visiting Mbare musika where you can find the freshest of fruits and vegetables.
- Craft and Curio Market.
- The first Apartments (dormitories).
- The first houses.
- Mbare High School.
- Carter House (overnight accommodation place).
- Nyau Centre and N’anga (Zvigure).
- Rufaro Stadium Tour.
- Matapi Flats (music studios).
- Apostolic Faith sects.
- Mbare Bus terminus
- Local guide
- Hotel/port pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Walking tour
- Transport by private vehicle
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Bookings can be cancelled whenever without any fees.
- City Sightseeing
- Day Tours
- Short Tours