Mutoko; a small town established as an administrative station in 1911, and home to the Buja people who settled in this area from Mhingari, now Mozambique. It is from this area that the country is fed, with tomatoes, mangoes, cotton, maize and beans being some of the most grown crops. There are several attractions in Mutoko, leading with the Mutemwa Leprosy Centre established in 1937, and the center where 25,000 people attend a church service in honour of John Bradburne, a Catholic martyr.
Mutoko ruins are the remains of ancient civilisation (14th Century), referred to by locals as Tere raMakate, meaning Makate’s old village – an ancient chief who ruled the area until he was subdued by Nehoreka, who came from the north: now Mozambique. There are several caves in and around the Mutoko area, including, Madzimudzangara Cave, Ruchera Cave, Manemba Cave, and Gambarimwe Cave. Although some of the caves are remote, we make a reasonable effort to see as many as our schedule allows.
The Last Destination is a living village museum, with a collection of traditional weapons, art, and is a cultural preservation centre. Sekuru (an endearing term for an elderly man) Chiunye runs this museum together with his wife, and it gives visitors a chance to live and experience Zimbabwean culture and history. Nyadire River Fishing Safaris are on hand to take you on boat rides, and fishing camps.
DAY 01: Harare
- We are going to kick start the day with a tour of the farms. We will visit the tomatoes and tobacco farm where you will be educated on the whole production process.
- Afterward we will visit the Mtemwa Leprosy Centre and have a chance to see how people living with leprosy are catered for and also get a chance to help them.
- We then finish off the day with a Sunset hike.
DAY 02: Mutoko
- We will start the day with a scenic boat Ride on Nyadire River.
- Mutoko Ruins (Tere raMakate)
- Last Destination Living Museum
DAY 03: Harare
- Visit the local Chief’s court.
- Depart for Harare.
- 2 nights accommodation
- Bottled water
- Local guide
- Hotel/port pickup and drop-off
- Round-trip shared transfer
- Entry tax
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Bookings can be cancelled whenever without any fees.
- City Sightseeing
- Day Tours
- Short Tours